I'd like to introduce a new feature of my Bob'n'Along column that I'm calling "As I Look Around."
In it, I plan to include lists of various sites, events and actualities of the present time that I happen to observe, or otherwise be made aware of, in North Central West Virginia.
These could be good things in the area, or they may be issues that may need attention from the proper individuals.
As I've enjoyed including people, places and things from the past in my columns -- and have every intention of continuing this -- I hope that my observations of things present will evoke as much response.
As I look around ...
- I wonder if the roadway between Summit Park and the Meadowbrook Road will ever get its enormous potholes filled.
- I ask myself if the vacant Social Security office on West Pike Street, near the angle, will be occupied any time soon.
- There seems to be quite a bit more litter along some highways in the area than there once was.
- Though it would be costly, wouldn't it be worth saving lives and preventing serious injury by constructing ramps and a bridge that would allow traffic at the U.S. 50-state Route 98 (Davisson Run Road) intersection to pass below the busy four-lane?
- I continue to see progress on the Broida's building on Third Street in downtown Clarksburg.
- On the road between Fairmont and Bridgeport, where does state Route 73 end and state Route 131 start?
- Why does the sign on the Harrison County Courthouse Plaza say that Stonewall Jackson was killed at Chancellorsville? (He was wounded there, but lived for several days after being moved elsewhere for treatment.)
- Hopefully, something is about to be done about the unsightly slagheap in Spelter.
- To me, things are looking better and better along Baltimore Avenue in the Glen Elk area.
- Why are there still no Red Lobster restaurants in the Clarksburg-Bridgeport vicinity?
- What is the curious-looking passageway that was created by CENTRA, the local transit authority, across from the Masonic Temple in downtown Clarksburg?
- Why is there no familiar green sign to indicate the corporate limits of West Milford after turning off U.S. Route 19 onto state Route 270?
- Why are there so few gasoline stations and restaurants along Route 50 between Clarksburg and Parkersburg?
- How much longer will it be before responsible parties decide that a sturdy bridge is needed to replace the existing "VA Bridge" just off U.S. 19 in Clarksburg?
- Why are there so few -- if any -- places left in North Central West Virginia to host musical concerts and big-name entertainers?
- How much longer will the large gravel lot at the corner of West Pike and South Fourth streets be used for nothing?
I'm afraid I got off to a rather slow start, so I'll be needing help from readers. If you see something or know of something that you're happy with or that you believe needs attention, write me. The address is: Bob'n'Along, the Exponent and Telegram, P.O. Box 2000, Clarksburg, W.V. 26302-2000, or send me an e-mail at www.cpubco.com.
Thanks, and have a great first week of April.