Return to News

Morning fire damages Silk Stockings club

by Torie McCloy


An early morning fire has shut down a Harrison County strip club for at least two weeks. The blaze at the Silk Stockings night club on U.S. Route 50 caused nearly $60,000 damage.

The electrical fire broke out around 7:30 a.m. Sunday. Within 12 minutes, 43 volunteer firefighters from five stations responded and put out the flames.

The firefighters saved the building, but there was considerable smoke and water damage.

"It was a quick response from the volunteers that saved the building," said Reynoldsville Fire Chief Michael Gallo.

The fire that started as a power surge in the electrical box melted the alarm system wires, said Gallo. That alerted the Harrison County Sheriff's Department which responded and discovered the fire.

By the time the firefighters arrived, the west side of the building was engulfed in flames.

Gallo said the fire was extremely hot. Pictures on the walls in the dressing rooms of the night club were melted to the walls, he said.

The Nutter Fort, Salem, Stonewood, Summit Park and Reynoldsville volunteer fire departments responded, as well as the Harrison County EMS.

No injuries were reported.

Owner Jeff Stamm said the dancers will be working down the road at the Rockin' Ranch. Stamm owns both bars.

Silk Stockings employee Bill Westfall said he expects the club to open back up in about two weeks.