Return to Sports
by Danny Carpenter
(September 2, 1998) One was dominating, the other consistent.
South Harrison's Ben Hall and Bridgeport's Vanessa Reif were named the first winners of the One Valley Bank/Clarksburg Exponent-Telegram Athletes of the Week for the 1998-99 school year.
Hall was impressive in the Hawks' 23-14 win over Big 10 rival Grafton.
He rushed for 174 yards on 27 carries and touchdowns of 38 and 2 yards, but he sealed the award with his two interceptions, including one for a touchdown.
"Ben did quite a bit for us the other night," South Harrison football coach Brad Jett said. "He made a major contribution, but (the offensive line) and the two blocking backs gave him the room to run. He carried the ball a little more than I liked, but we took what Grafton gave us."
Defensively, Jett was not surprised by Hall's performance.
"He is our outside linebacker on long (yardage) downs," Jett said. "He was in for their drag play and he picked it off twice."
Midfielder Reif's performance was key to the Indians' 3-0 start.
"She is the glue that solidifies our team," said Bridgeport soccer coach Deb Reif, the player's mother. "She has good vision from the midfielder spot and is a team player."
Reif scored a goal each game and added an assist in a win over Elkins.
"I actually expected most of our scoring to come from my forwards Lauren Blaney and Amy Miller, but our midfielders can be very supportive in scoring," coach Reif said.
Experience has been a key.
"Vanessa and Jaclyn Waugh each played for the boys JV team their freshman years," Deb Reif said. "They wanted to prove they could play with the boys and they continue to play at the same level as the boys."
Hall and Reif, along with other award winners, will be honored at the One Valley Bank Athlete of the Year Banquet at the end of the school year.
Other top male performances:
· Liberty's Zach Carpenter rushed for 97 yards and one touchdown in a win over Philip Barbour. He also caught two passes for 23 yards.
· Robert C. Byrd's Pete Arbonaise rushed for 70 yards and one score in the Eagles' win over Nicholas County.
· Robert C. Byrd's Daniel Rogers and Adam Dyer shot a 78 and 81, respectively, in the Eagles' first match of the year at the Parkersburg Country Club High School Invitational.
· Liberty's David Patterson completed 9-of-20 passes for 157 yards and two scores.
· Liberty's John See caught four passes for 115 yards and two touchdowns.
· Bridgeport's Ben Randolph shot a 39 in a quad golf match.
· South Harrison's Drew Toth rushed for 80 yards on 14 carries.
Other top female performances:
· Bridgeport's Lauren Sheldon scored three goals and had one assist in three wins.
· Bridgeport's Amy Miller had three goals in a win over Elkins.
She also had two assists during the week.
· Bridgeport's Lauren Blaney had two goals and an assist.