by J.R. Brammer
CLARKSBURG -- Harrison County grand jurors have indicted 29 people on charges ranging from murder to forgery.
The two-day grand jury session, which concluded Tuesday, was basically a repeat of the cases heard in January. The first round of indictments was thrown out after questions were raised over Prosecutor John Scott's law license.
A subsequent court ruling allowed Scott to remain in office and many of the cases were presented again to the grand jury this week.
Arraignments are scheduled for Monday.
Gerald C. Everett Jr., 34, Clarksburg, stands accused of killing Donna Critchfield by striking her head with blunt force and then setting fire to her Anmoore home last July.
Also, Everett allegedly stole the victim's 1987 Ford, her purse and a video game system. Authorities found Critchfield's burned body lying on the floor of her living room.
Everett, indicted for murder and grand larceny, remains in jail without bond.
The county's other pending murder case will be presented in May. Joshua Jones, 19, Clarksburg, and Roland Wilfong, 21, Shinnston, remain held without bond, charged with the beating death of Charles Carroll last fall.
Everett's case is the only indictment handed down this week that wasn't presented in January.
More than 70 indictments were issued Jan. 5, but were put on hold until the court ruled if Scott's failure to pay mandatory state Bar Association dues on time would cost him his job. Scott was ruled eligible to serve last month.
"We've been able to work out deals on a number of the cases," Scott says, noting the smaller number of indictments.
Other indictments include:
n Matthew Altman, 19, Bridgeport, three counts of uttering counterfeit currency, one count fraudulent schemes, one count conspiracy to commit fraudulent schemes.
- Robert R. Aguilar, 22, Clarksburg, one count of wanton endangerment involving a firearm.
- James B. Bell, 35, Wallace, four counts sexual abuse by a custodian, three counts of third-degree sexual assault, one count first-degree sexual abuse.
- Frederick L. Burns, 38, Lost Creek, one count grand larceny, one count second-offense petit larceny.
- Teresa M. Currey, 32, Clarksburg, four counts obtaining a controlled substance by misrepresentation.
- Stanley A. Heflin, 45, Clarksburg, three counts obtaining money by false pretenses.
- Donald W. Holmes, 40, Clarksburg, two counts of malicious wounding, two counts second-degree sexual assault, one count kidnapping.
- Valerie B. Jackson, 27, Clarksburg, one count of forgery.
- John J. Jones Jr., 53, Clarksburg, one count third-offense driving on a suspended license for DUI.
- Roger H. King, 19, West Virginia Industrial Home for Youth, one count conspiracy to escape.
- Daniel P. Krivosky, 45, Stonewood, one count kidnapping, one count burglary, one count violating a domestic violence order, one count destruction of property, one count assault, two counts domestic battery.
-Holbert Livingston, 21, Clarksburg, one count attempted escape.
- Clifford H. Merritt, 30, Clarksburg, one count burglary, one count petit larceny.
- J.D. McCord, 43, Mannington, third-offense DUI.
- Michael W. McNemar, no age, no address, two counts forgery, one count petit larceny.
- Richard F. McNemar, 50, no address, four counts third-degree sexual assault.
- Anthony Napolitano, 31, Bridgeport, third-offense DUI.
- David M. Perkins, 22, Clarksburg, one count forgery, one count uttering.
- Stephen L. Perrine, 39, Mount Clare, one count bringing stolen property in the state of West Virginia.
- Charles M. Rollins Jr., 38, West Milford, one count fraudulent schemes.
-Scott A. Rowe, 28, Morgantown, one count fraudulent schemes.
- Charles R. Smith, 21, Dellslow, one count grand larceny.
- Joshua D. Sprague, 21, West Virginia Industrial Home for Youth, one count escape, one count malicious assault on a correctional officer, one count aggravated robbery, one count conspiracy to escape.
- Jimmy L. Stemple, 40, Lost Creek, two counts sexual abuse by a custodian, two counts first-degree sexual abuse.
- Jeremy E. Ward, no age, no address, one count grand larceny.
- Barbara L. Williams, 37, Clarksburg, four counts sexual abuse by a custodian, four counts third-degree sexual assault.
- Mark E. Wilson, 26, Clarksburg, one count possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver.
- Ricky L. Wright, 36, Clarksburg, third-offense DUI.